Editorial on Ellison, McNealy, and national ID card

Clay Shirky clay@shirky.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:19:05 -0400 (EDT)

> There is a *lot* of information in the complete DNA sequence of a person.
> You don't need the entire sequence to get a GUID. Different databases can,
> and should, use different GUID generators. Unless everyone standardizes on a
> common sampling and GUID generation technique, the primary keys *will* be
> different.

Well, the STRs provide the obvious place to create such a common
sampling, and the National DNA Indexing System has already annointed
13 of these loci as standard, so I think you're whistling past a
pretty big graveyard if you think that casual incompatibility will
prevent this from happening.

> The scenario you describe is not cast in stone.

Prior to the war, I might have thought this assertion was at least
arguably right. Now I am certain it is wrong.

-clay