The Magic of Base 3

Gordon Mohr gojomo@usa.net
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:22:42 -0700

> Note that the article suggests that it should be e-valued, and that 3
> is simply the closest integer.

I am trying to imagine, but have not yet managed to imagine, how
non-integral bases would "work", while still preserving the
[symbols x places] efficiency posited by the article.

>   "Doron Zeilberger of Rutgers University, in a paper co-authored with
>   his computer Shalosh B. Ekhad, established that..."
>
> seems perhaps more important than any particular ternary properties.

I missed that the first time through. Turns out that
Zeilberger likes to credit his computer as a coauthor.
His "servant" even has a homepage:

    http://www.math.temple.edu/~ekhad/

- Gordon