Editorial on Ellison, McNealy, and national ID card

Clay Shirky clay@shirky.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:45:49 -0400 (EDT)

> Is this after we repeal the 4th Amendment?

It didn't stop the creation of the social security number. Remember,
the 4th Amendment is tempered by the word 'unreasonable.' The hospital
collects blood type, fingerprints, footprints, the placenta, and the
umbilical cord. What's unreasonable about getting the DNA as well?

> There are now laws to compel DNA samples from people *arrested* for
> certain kinds of crime. Personally, I'm appalled that the courts
> haven't thrown out that.

...which is probably part of what's blinding you to what is actually
happening, namely that you are confusing "shouldn't happen" with
"won't happen."

> But compelling this from innocents? Even Rhenquist might hesitate.

Do you really belive that?

-clay