Who 0wns you -- Entertainment control freaks have an ally in Microsoft

Jon O . jono@microshaft.org
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:45:57 -0700

----- Forwarded message -----

To: dmca_discuss@lists.microshaft.org
Cc: it_union@lists.microshaft.org
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:27:24 -0700

Entertainment control freaks have an ally in Microsoft
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/opinion/dgillmor/dg102401.htm

The entertainment industry has been working for years to establish control over digital content to prevent unauthorized copying. The latest effort, a proposed bill by U.S. Sen. Ernest ``Fritz'' Hollings, D-S.C., would force makers of interactive digital devices to build copy-protection into everything they make.

There hasn't been much publicity about the so-called ``Security Systems Standards and Certification Act'' (SSSCA), but this is a real piece of work.

That latest version of Media Player, which I recently downloaded, comes with a remarkable user license. It says, in part: ``You agree that in order to protect the integrity of content and software protected by digital rights management (`Secure Content'), Microsoft may provide security related updates to the OS Components that will be automatically downloaded onto your computer. These security related updates may disable your ability to copy and/or play Secure Content and use other software on your computer. If we provide such a security update, we will use reasonable efforts to post notices on a Web site explaining the update.''

In other words, Microsoft asserts the right to remotely change your PC's configuration and otherwise muck with your system. What's a reasonable effort to post notices? Who knows?