Editorial on Ellison, McNealy, and national ID card

Marty Halvorson martyh@nmcourts.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:02:08 -0600

>> Any ideas on howbig this DNA GUID might be (in bits)
>
>Very good question, don't know the answer.

I don't know the answer either, but, in the world of legal XML standards,
we've just defined a DNA element as:

<!ELEMENT dna (agencyID?, dnaLocus+, comment*) >
<!ATTLIST dna type CDATA #FIXED "STR" >
<!ATTLIST dna referenceDate CDATA #IMPLIED >

<!ELEMENT dnaLocus (locusValue+)>
<!ATTLIST dnaLocus type (CSF1PO | D13S317 | D16S539 | D18S51 | D21S11 |
D3S1358 | D5S818 | D7S820 | D8S1179 | FGA | TH01 | TPOX | vWA) #REQUIRED >
<!ELEMENT dnaLocusValue (#PCDATA)>

"STR" is the current standard for coding DNA.  There are 13 types of loci
that can be coded,  and depending on the loci selected it can have one or
two numeric values.

AgencyID identifies the agency that collected the dna.  ReferenceDate is
the date the dna was collected.  And that's what I know about dna.
Especially since I didn't do any of the work involved in defining this
element.

Peace

Marty Halvorson
New Mexico Supreme Court