who died?

Robert Harley robert.harley@inria.fr
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 11:13:15 +0200 (MET DST)

Faisal Jawdat faisal@faisal.com wrote:
>[...]
>I have not heard anything about detainees dying.
>Does anyone have pointers to any such information?

Go to www.daypop.com, the mini-Google of recent press items.

  http://www.daypop.com/search?q=detainee+died

Top link, some guys blog:

http://www.tpoh.org/
Detainee Found Dead In Cell. "A Pakistani man arrested by the FBI in
its investigation of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks was found dead in
his jail cell, authorities said ... The jail's medical director,
Lionel Anicette, said he believes the man died of a heart attack."
This coming on the heels of the FBI's admission that they would really
like to push the envelope when it comes to extracting information from
unresponsive detainees in the 'War on Terrorism'. Now, it goes without
saying that we are getting no details from trusted sources that have
not already been sifted through governmental sieves.  It also goes
without saying that our media is being used as an outlet for
propaganda and disinformation.  [...]

which in turn links to:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/americas_new_war/aussuspect10242001.htm
Pakistani arrested during investigation of terrorist
attacks found dead in cell
Associated Press

Wednesday, October 24, 2001

NEWARK, N.J. - A Pakistani man arrested by the FBI in its
investigation of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks was found dead in his
jail cell, authorities said.

The 55-year-old man, whose identity was not immediately released, was
found dead Tuesday morning at the Hudson County Jail in Kearny. An
autopsy was under way Wednesday to determine the cause of death.

The jail's medical director, Lionel Anicette, said he believes the man died of a heart attack.

Doctors tested nasal swabs, blood and tissue for anthrax, and all the
tests were negative for the bacteria, officials said. The man's
cellmate and a handful of guards also received nasal-swab tests for
anthrax, which also came back negative, jail administrator Kurt Thoens
said.

The man was arrested Sept. 19 as part of the investigation into the
terrorist attacks, a government source who insisted on anonymity told
The Associated Press on Wednesday.

[...]

Second link is:

  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/default.stm

which links to:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1618000/1618728.stm

US terror suspect dies in jail

By the BBC's Malcolm Brabant in New York

A Pakistani man arrested by the FBI as part of its investigation into
the 11 September attacks has been found dead in his cell.

He is thought to have died of a heart attack, but tests for anthrax
poisoning have been carried out on his body.

The 55-year-old man was one of more than 800 people detained by the
FBI after the attacks on New York and Washington.

The man, whose name has not been released, was found dead in his cell
in a county jail in New Jersey.

The post mortem examination is being performed to determine what
killed him but medical staff at the prison say he is thought to have
suffered a heart attack.

[...]

Bitfully yours,
  Rob.