who died?

Grlygrl201@aol.com Grlygrl201@aol.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 07:21:27 EDT

--part1_77.1d296407.290aa137_boundary

In a message dated 10/26/01 5:16:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
robert.harley@inria.fr writes:

> This coming on the heels of the FBI's admission that they would really
> like to push the envelope when it comes to extracting information from
> unresponsive detainees in the 'War on Terrorism'. Now, it goes without
> saying that we are getting no details from trusted sources that have
> not already been sifted through governmental sieves.  It also goes
> without saying that our media is being used as an outlet for
> propaganda and disinformation.  [...]

The rights of U.S. citizens are more significant than the rights of
noncitizens or nonresident aliens. The Eighth Amendment [
http://go.msn.com/newsletter3817/70124.asp ]  proscribes "cruel and unusual"
punishment outright, and the case law (Rochin v. California [
http://go.msn.com/newsletter3817/70125.asp ] ) establishes that it's a Fifth
Amendment violation to do anything to procure evidence that "shocks the
conscience." In U.S. courts, the general rule of evidence bars confessions
obtained through "oppression" (defined generally as "torture, inhuman or
degrading treatment and the use of or threat of violence"). International law
also forbids the use of torture, most notably in the U.N. Convention Against
Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment [
http://go.msn.com/newsletter3817/70126.asp ] .
http://xent.com/pipermail/fork/2001-October/005433.html

self-referentially,
geege