Division Director Searches

Sat, 27 Oct 2001 13:16:59 -0700

Hi Andy,
  I have access to many such candidates coming
from UC Irvine.  As I am peppered with recruiting
requests, I have a standard agreement for recruiting
activities that involves a flat fee regardless of
whether a candidate actually accepts a spot or not.
Some recruiting agencies find this type of structure
unacceptable.

I'd be more than happy to waive this fee in the spirit
of academic placement.  Typically in academic recruting,
it's not the dollar amount of the position that's the determining
factor, but the size of research budget, area of interest,
interaction with existing researchers, etc.  From what
I can garner, you are seeking a director level R&D position.
You will find these people at:
   o Companies that are cutting research areas out of their
     R&D labs, i.e. Intel's "back to chips" or Sun Lab's
     focus on integrating their core product lines,
   o Non-tenured academic researchers or tenured academic
     researchers looking to expand the scope of their project
     to a commercial or semi-commercial reach,
   o ex- and current DARPA or NSF program managers.

The last is a great source of highest level, talented
researchers that have experience in running these type of
centers, labs, or budgeted R&D projects.   Their tenure at
DARPA/NSF is typically 2-5 years.  The skils of evaluating
promising research, focusing research efforts in the face
of limited R&D dollars, and managing multiple projects make
them ideal candidates.

Good luck in your search, and I hope this helps.

Greg