PROPOSAL: List moderation Was Re: More Info on penis enlargement

Gordon Mohr gojomo@usa.net
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:18:11 -0800

I'm against blocking non-subscribers.

I'm also against democratic referenda here. Benevolent despotism
is optimal for a voluntary community of this size. After speaking
our minds, the star chamber will decide. We can always "vote with
our feet" -- allocating attention elsewhere if unhappy with the
direction here.

--

There is one way to gate unwanted posts that I haven't
seen mentioned before, and I don't know if it is in mailman.

When a non-subscribed address posts to the list, hold the
message until the sender replies to a confirmation message.
Thereafter, treat the sender as an approved poster.

Benefits:
  - blocks messages from spoofed addresses (incl. antigen@xent.com)
  - minimal inconvenience to casual senders -- much easier than
    subscribing
  - no moderator-introduced delay, speed of approval is up to
    original sender

Just a thought.

- Gordon

minds, but.

If non-subscriber messages need to be gated in any way,