Changing the Topic: Penis wars begone! I need Laptop advice :)
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:25:36 -0800
I posted a bit back about my need to acquire a laptop. Whelp, I've
narrowed down the choices considerably, but I want some advice on the
better of the two.
First off,the two models in the running:
Dell INspiron 8100
Toshiba Satellite 5005-s504
PIII, 1.1 ghz (speedstep woo) ( The dell squeezes in with a 1.13 ghz)
15" monitor, Super xga
30gb hd... dvd/cd-rw combo drive
56k modem/10/100 lan combo
Windows XP (MUST FIX THIS)
Nvidia Geforece to Go Video CArd
IEEE 1394 port, 2 usb ports (yay), tv out and all the standards,
including IRport (YAY)
- The Dell has less memory -- 128mb sdram standard. I can add 512mb to
match the toshiba (which this model comes standard with) for an extra
$400 (I can find this cheaper)
- The Toshiba's combo drive is slower.. 6x6x24x. Dell is 8x8x24x, the
DVD being modular , but included
- Dell will add another 16mb to the video memory (making an even 32mb,
compared to the Toshiba's unmoving 16mb)
- The warranties prices are about the same, but Dell includes lifetime
- Toshiba gives me a $100 rebate and the sales droid will lower the cost
to $2267 total (Dell will charge me $2600). To be fair, Dell has
financing (good) and 90-days same as cash (Even better). Toshiba only
offers said things to their 'business clients'. BAh.
- Toshiba has a better sound system. They're using Yamaha soundsystem
with HArmon Kardon Speakers. And they have a subwoofer on the bottom.
I know little if ANYTHING on Dell's sound system.
- Toshiba does have a special Smartmedia and Secure digital port, and
apparently an additional USB port.
- I Have a toshiba (Rohit remembers my sticker-clad 325 CDS.. ITs served
me well for nearly 4 years.. But I wouldn't mind changing.
See my deliema? BAsically I wnat to know if anyone has played with
these models, and what the general FoRK recomendation is..