present policy

Kragen Sitaker kragen@pobox.com
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:46:01 -0500 (EST)

Present policy is to allow non-listmembers to post, and I don't want
that to change.  We're using Mailman; one of these days I'll get around
to hacking it to hold non-listmembers' (or new posters'?) posts for
manual review if they're not part of existing threads.  It was a
sensible suggestion JoeBar made back N months ago.

One of these days, I'll also get around to hacking Mailman to hold
posts with HTML parts for manual approval.  It should cut down on spam
enormously.

The biggest signal-to-noise problems on FoRK right now aren't due to
non-listmembers, and I don't know what to do about those.  Suggestions
are welcome.

I think that sending bounce messages to other recipients of a message
is abusive behavior; there are well-defined places to send bounces, and
addresses in the To: and Cc: lines are not among them.  Sending bounces
to these places is likely to cause all kinds of problems, including
mailing-list pollution and Bcc privacy violation.  Bcc privacy
violation is likely to get people fired.

Spamming is criminal behavior, and Aaron Blosser's threat to spam FoRK
is illegal under California law.  I don't know if we'll get around to
doing anything about it.

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we possess
ourselves.
       -- Gandalf the White [J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Two Towers", Bk 3, Ch. XI]