far right nut jobs are gay man-boy lovers of bill clinton and his abortion-loving tom whore black welfare mother

Lucas Gonze lucas@gonze.com
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 18:25:30 -0500

per jb:
> Lucas, I respectfully disagree.  Let me point out Aaron's own
> statements which,
> IMO, are intended merely to annoy and do not reflect any particular level of
> reason, knowledge, cool, or professionalism.

Dunno JB, I dunno.  Anyhow, check this out:

When a flame war breaks out, there's no content but there are interesting meme
things going on.

The technique of newsgroup writing is about carefully controlling the amount of
traction your writing will have.  You get traction with hooks.  I don't mean
hooks like in a song, I mean things that people can respond to.  Talented
baiters, like some of the far-right nut jobs that have made brief appearances
here, create a lot of hooks.  Really excellent writers can stop a thread cold by
saying something so smooth that all anyone can do is nod, but only if they
successfully avoid creating new hooks.  Measured by responses, the baiters give
the appearance of being great and the really excellent writers give the
appearance of sucking.

In this post I am writing about conversation, but I also have the phrase
"far-right nut jobs."  It's pretty likely that any responses will be about that
phrase only, because it has less content than the rest but more traction.
That's because far right nut jobs are gay man-boy lovers of bill clinton and his
abortion-loving tom whore black welfare mother.  The other possibility is that
point is kind of dull.  To avoid too many responses I have to pick over the
thing and remove any extraneous ideas, to generate enough responses I have to
make it long enough or loose enough.

Heh.  anyhow I guess my main point is that life in the newsgroups has a lot of
exaggerated information patterns.  Normal conversations suddenly go whacko
because a too-successful meme has been introduced.  Getting the right amount of
reaction is a skill that's mainly about your meme control.