The FoRKless revolution...

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 01:35:42 -0800 (PST)

... Back in my day ...

FoRK was this little list of dreamers and world changers. A bunch of
supergeeks discussing geek things.

Now it's a bunch of people that sound like industry insiders. People trying
to solve the problem of locking people into a protocol by wrapping layer
after layer of crap around some binary data. Working on problems that dont
actually exist. Who let in the press weasel anyway? Why are people still
fixated on B2B/P2P? Have we reached list stage 6a? Has there even been a
geeky topic recently?

Why are we having a conversation about closed-posting for the list? Hello?
Set cluebats to puree. Noone has run an open-post mailing list in years. If
you want to post from more then one place, then subscribe more then once and
no-deliver/no-receive/no-ack/conceal-from-list the extras. Geez.

I have noticed an unexpected thing. As the recession and things have hit,
geeks have pulled away from working on open source or revolutionary
projects, and are focusing more on working/consulting while they can pull in
money at all, their geek skills now a worthless commodity. I expected the
opposite since everyone from economists to engineers always claim a
recession is when all the neat things happen.

Where did the dreamers and revolutionaries go anyway? I feel so alone.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com