Interactive agit-prop (was: Global personal digital library for every human)

Gordon Mohr gojomo@usa.net
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 13:03:50 -0800

Close readers of FoRK will recognize this as a variant of my
suggestion in messages:

    http://www.xent.com/pipermail/fork/2001-September/004667.html
    http://www.xent.com/pipermail/fork/2001-September/004813.html

Maybe the proper device can be cobbled together with off-the-shelf
components:

PDA Agitprop Mark I: (no design changes except new software)
   Start with a Game Boy Advance, retail $89, 32-bit ARM
   processor, 240x160 screen, 32k colors. Airdrop units,
   custom educational/propaganda cartridges, and AA batteries
   as necessary.

PDA Agitprop Mark II: (theater hardening)
   Give it a crank power-source, replace the cartridge
   mechanism with wireless receiver and expanded internal
   memory for storing multiple independent software packages.

   Allow new software to be received via:
    - passive broadcast-listening (so devices themselves
      cannot be found by their chattering, when necessary)
    - touching two units together (to enhance person-to-person
      sharing networks, especially between women under their
      burkhas)

PDA Agitprop Mark III: (P2P wireless)
   Add the ability to communicate software packages and
   IMs between nearby units; ad-hoc discover longer routes.

- Gordon