Time running backwards, toasters, microwaves, stoves

Kragen Sitaker kragen@pobox.com
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:07:08 -0500 (EST)

Russell Turpin writes:
> You better never let her cook on an O'Keefe & Merritt.

An O'Keefe and Merritt gas stove?  What's so special about them?

I'm eating an omelet I just cooked on one, and the only things I notice
unusual about it are:

- the damn top keeps falling down
- it has a built-in griddle
- it has two ovens, which is somewhat compensated for by only one of
  them working
- each burner has two rings of fire, one around the outside and one in
  the middle
- its pilot-light-driven burner-lighting action is relatively
  unreliable (my fiancee Beatrice often prefers to strike a match)
- the burners are really hard to control
- it has dripping pans that pull out in front so you can clean up most
  grease drippings in the sink instead of with a sponge
- the stovetop is hot all the time
- the stovetop is stainless steel, so you don't need to worry about
  scratching it; you can scrub it with steel wool if you have to

OK.  I guess, on further consideration, it is a damned fine stove.

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we possess
ourselves.
       -- Gandalf the White [J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Two Towers", Bk 3, Ch. XI]