Why Do They Hate Us?

Kris Ganjam krisgan@microsoft.com
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:27:07 -0800

Here is some discussion (from a thread elsewhere) that is a little more
honest IMO.  The articles at the bottom are worth the read.

This article [1], like Chomsky's talk [3], puts aside the deceptive spin
of terrorist vs. counter-terrorist and focuses on the more deeply-rooted
reasons around our involvements with the Middle East - with a very
insightful chronology of oil geopolitics.  It and these articles [2],
put forth the case that the underlying strategic reason for our
overthrow of the Taliban is so US oil interests can more easily build
pipelines from the Caspian to Central Asia via Afghanistan.  Some light
is shed on bin Laden as more of a freedom fighter for Saudi, trying to
get rid of an oppressive colonial government maintained by terrorists. =20

Is continued colonialist oppression necessary for maintaining
sufficiently rapid rates of technological advancement?  e.g., Would you
be willing to democratize Saudi and risk losing control over the
abundant oil that has made our science and industry progress as fast as
it has (which directly affects your lifespan and quality of your
singleton life)?  Should the fact that we're in a position to use a
country's resources give us rights over them if they can't be defended?
(The answer to whether or not they can be defended is currently what
we're finding out.)  One could argue that as long as we pay "someone"
for what we take, its OK - though aren't puppet governments great.  How
much should we pay to some poor country with who knows what
random-historical-process-formed government unable to extract or defend
the resources we value/need upon which it randomly happens to sit?  At
least they're going to need to buy arms if they want to maintain any new
wealth generated for them...

It seems that internal US property rights only hold because they can
actually be defended - ultimately through laws upheld by the collective
physical (and ideological) force of the people which theoretically can't
be turned against itself. =20

I wonder how much the oil companies compensate the government for the
huge military expenditures required to maintain their viability.

[1] http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=3D20011105&s=3Dklare
[2] http://www.guardian.co.uk/waronterror/story/0,1361,579401,00.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,5673,579174,00.html
[3] Audio: http://web.mit.edu/tac/www/recentforums.htm
    Transcript: http://www.zmag.org/GlobalWatch/chomskymit.htm

I finally subscribed to Red Rock Eaters News Service - lots of
non-mainstream news and analysis.
http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html

An eccentric Englishman has set a new record for the highest-ever flight