Why Do They Hate Us?

Bill Humphries bill@whump.com
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 17:54:00 -0800

On Tuesday, October 30, 2001, at 05:20 PM, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> I seriously doubt Saudi Arabia could be made into a democracy
> w/o killing off a significant portion of the population of that country.

You make a statement like that, and you wonder why people out there hate
us?

Who do you suggest killing? People wearing glasses? People who can read?
Shall I refer to you as Pol or Mr. Pot?

> It just burns me for 'intellectuals' to frame all the ills of the world
> (and this conflict
> in particular) in terms of what the west has done wrong.

And it bothers me when any constructive criticism of US policy is slapped
down with "you don't appreciate what you have here." Those are two
different matters.
When we had a bill of rights, up until late last week, I was glad of it,
and realized that it made my life viz a Saudi's or even an Englishman's
better.

The question is not if we should be involved in that region. We have to as
a matter of circumstance. Could we had done things better? I think so.

-- whump