Some Like It Hot

Gordon Mohr gojomo@usa.net
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:34:35 -0700

I wrote:
> Perhaps the long-term solution is to provide Afghanistan with
> a few million units of "A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer" --
> as in Neal Stephenson's "Diamond Age".

For those who haven't read "Diamond Age", the "Primer" is a
sort of EBook/education PDA for young girls, teaching them
various skills and values through a series of stories and
interactive exercises. When mass-produced and disseminated,
it creates an army of assertive Chinese girls who figure
prominently in Stephenson's (typically strained and
over-the-top) climax.

Others are thinking along the same lines. Discovered via
http://instapundit.blogspot.com:

    An insightful editorial cartoon:
    http://cagle.slate.msn.com/working/010920/deering.gif

and

    "What Islamic terrorists are really afraid of is women",
     by Boris Johnson, editor of The Spectator and Tory MP
     http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/01/9/27/do02.html

    Johnson's conclusion:

    "Female emancipation has been the biggest social
     revolution since print. In trying to resist it, the
     Muslim fanatics are establishing themselves as doomed
     cultural Luddites. Let me say what the Left cannot say,
     since it chokes on the contradictions of its position,
     at once feminist, and yet relativist.

     It is time for concerted cultural imperialism. They are
     wrong about women. We are right. We can't have them
     blowing us up. The deluded fanatics must be helped to a
     more generous understanding of the world. Female education
     is the answer to the global population problem. It is the
     ultimate answer to the problem of Islamic fundamentalist
     terrorism."

- Gordon