stop posting in html

eugen@leitl.org eugen@leitl.org
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 12:45:37 +0200 (CEST)

On 31 Mar 2002, Luis Villa wrote:

> OK, so... this is probably a really, really bad flame-war to restart,
> but... when even Pine* and Mutt very cleanly handle HTML emails,
> what's the big deal with HTML mail? I mean, is it really that hard to
> upgrade to a newer version of pine? When I was stuck with using a

You're not getting it. The point of HTML in email is that it has no point.

It does not enhance the communication. Nada, zilch. It just requires more
code to render, and gives more attack angles to the person on the other
end. If you say that I could sandbox HTML rendering you're still not
getting it. I don't have to. I don't have to read email while standing on
my head with live octopuses stuffed in my undies, either. (Unless you pay
me for it, and my rates for this are not cheap).

Do you know what the great part about SpamAssassin is? I noticed that it
does not only kill spam, but consistently misclassifies as spam posters I
wouldn't wat to read anyway. Which is easy to see why, as people who want
to be understood care about the form.

> version of pine that was built in 1994, and when tons of people still
> used pre-HTML mail clients, I understood the anti-HTML mail
> complaints. But I don't understand why, now, 7 years after the
> invention of HTML mail, it's still such a big deal to some people.
> Isn't that a long enough time to switch to a modern client?
>
> Luis (honestly mystified why someone who uses mozilla to read mail cares
> about HTML mail)

You use Mozilla to read your email? You probably cut butter with a mallet,
too.

The amount of things you get consistently wrong makes me doubt about
Ximian. (In case you're representative of it). This not as a flame, but as
an observation.