When Elephants Dance

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym@canada.com
01 Apr 2002 10:33:38 -0500

    E> ...  Most software companies seem to be trying to position
    E> themselves to make money from service and support rather than
    E> sales.  This is true both in the open source and proprietary
    E> software models.

Is this true?  Are there any status to back it?

I ask because I find it depressing: I've been running the
service/support treadmill for several decades, dreaming as I grey of
that day when I might sell one effort to a million people and retire.

Isn't it true that the computer games industry both has solved the
problem of unit sales with little or no services or support, and has
also completely solved the issue of copy protection?  Isn't it also
true that, among the entire IT industry, the games industry continues
to be the profit leader?