When Elephants Dance

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 03:01:21 -0800 (PST)

On 2 Apr 2002, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:

> (* the first-best job was a friend of a friend who was a "location
>    consultant" for the film industry.  He just travelled around the
>    city on his bike taking note of what he saw, and then big hollywood
>    directors would pay him big fees to tell them nifty places where
>    they could find a certain ambiance.  Like, is that cool or what?  I
>    asked him "How on earth did you get started?" but his answer was an
>    unhelpful "I started working part time for a guy who did this, and
>    then he retired, so I took over his contacts.")

You mean apprenticeship?

Historicly that's always been how you get the really awesome jobs. From town
blacksmith to sound engineer. You have to put in the time.

The fact that it allows the people doing it to tightly control their
numbers, thus keeping control of the supply side, is what gets you to the
beach ;)

It's also by far the best way to train someone without writing it down.
Very common in reputation based trades.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com