When Elephants Dance

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 16:30:38 +0000

On 2 Apr 2002, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:
>>(* the first-best job was a friend of a friend who was a "location
>>consultant" for the film industry. I asked him "How on earth did you get
>>started?" but
>>his answer was an unhelpful "I started working part time for a guy who did
>>this, and then he retired, so I took over his contacts.")

Adam Beberg:
>You mean apprenticeship? Historicly that's always been how you get the
>really awesome jobs. From town
>blacksmith to sound engineer.

Interestingly, the important stuff one learns in an
apprenticeship is not just the ostensible "how to do
this," but the more dynamic and tenuous "what is the
business value here." Anyone can spot a cool location
and write notes on it. But what kind of notes are
useful to film directors? What do they want in terms
of quantity of locations surveyed vs. depth of
description? What are the time and cost constraints?
What environmental issues must be noted, relative
to the practicalities of filming? How specific are
their requests, and if non-specific, how does one
determine what locations are appropriate? Are there
IP issues that need to be noted for certain locales?
Etc. Etc.

It is a cool job. But I have no doubt that on top of
its coolness, there is still business, business,
business.