FW: Stealth P2P network hides inside Kazaa

Jeffrey Kay jeff@k2.com
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 15:53:31 -0500

Here's a little something to stoke your paranoia.  FWIW, I'm not a Kazaa user.  Have a
nice day ...

> Stealth P2P network hides inside Kazaa
>
> By John Borland
> Staff Writer, CNET News.com
> April 1, 2002, 5:35 PM PT
>
> A California company has quietly attached its software to millions of
> downloads of the popular Kazaa file-trading program and plans to
> remotely "turn on" people's PCs, welding them into a new network of
> its own.
>
> Brilliant Digital Entertainment, a California-based digital
> advertising technology company, has been distributing its 3D ad
> technology along with the Kazaa software since late last fall. But in
> a federal securities filing Monday, the company revealed it also has
> been installing more ambitious technology that could turn every
> computer running Kazaa into a node in a new network controlled by
> Brilliant Digital.
>
> The company plans to wake up the millions of computers that have
> installed its software in as soon as four weeks. It plans to use the
> machines--with their owners' permission--to host and distribute other
> companies' content, such as advertising or music. Alternatively, it
> might borrow people's unused processing power to help with other
> companies' complicated computing tasks.

> http://news.com.com/2100-1023-873181.html

-- jeffrey kay
weblog  <www.k2.com>
"first get your facts, then you can distort them at your leisure" -- mark twain
"golf is an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle" -- sports
illustrated
"if A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y plus Z. X is work. Y is play.
Z is keep your mouth shut." -- albert einstein