How 'Bout Relocating Israel to Mexico

Elias Sinderson elias@cse.ucsc.edu
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 14:15:25 -0800

After WWII, when the international community was looking for a place to
put the Jewish state of Israel, there was a large number of Rabbis who
were entirely opposed to the current location. Apparently Brazil
volunteered a large chunk of land for the cause, and it was seriously
considered as an alternative. Unfortunately there was much more at stake
than simply finding these displaced peoples a home (like having a
western presence in the middle east) which factored into the outcome.
There was also a very vocal orthodox group who would not accept anything
less than the 'true holy land'.

As the current situation stands, I think it is unreasonable for Israel
to move - there has simply been too much invested at this point, both by
the Jewish people and the international community. (This is, of course
ignoring the historical and cultural significance of Jerusalem...)
Returning Israel to it's pre-1967(?) borders and giving up the
settlements would be feasible, and a great step in the peace process,
but I don't think we can realistically expect much more in terms of
reducing the size of the country or relocating it.

    Elias