Stealth P2P network hides inside Kazaa

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 07:38:38 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Dunno, given that some of the advanced P2P features (adaptively migrating
> content, demand-adaptive content amplification, swarm delivery,
> distributed spidering and distributed search, redundant robust storage on
> ephemeral nodes, agoric load levelling, prestige accounting)

You were going to list P2P features? You ended up with a list of ancient
computing techniques, mostly caching methods, tho I suspect you know
that ;) Even with all that "new stuff" I haven't found my original '95
design lacking any of it yet.

> I guess there's a commercial niche in there if you come early, and can
> deliver (most P2P deployed so far is surprisingly braindead), but on the
> long run it's going to be dominated by free packages.

Yes, this is all headed not towards free but towards commodity, which is
worse then free. Not only will noone be able to make any money off the
software, but they wont be able to make money off the services either, and
next year you will still only be able to charge zero for twice as much of
it.

You see MS and Sun and others at war over .NET etc, but I'm seeing more and
more people saying "it's too late, identity is a commodity too, and 'web
services' were a commodity in the 70s, nice try" meanwhile .NET server won't
even ship till 2003.

I dont know why I bother anymore, I know noone can make money on software
anymore. Must just be how many orders of magnitude more efficient my stuff
is, and how many industries I can kill along the way. Of course my stuff is
purposely not good for things you dont want people to know you have (if
you're stealing something, it's easy to track), so I'll probably have no
competition at all :)

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com