Commanding Heights on PBS 9pm EST

John Hall johnhall@evergo.net
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 15:48:34 -0800

No, it is a new 6 hr show that has little to do with a brief
conversation several years ago.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/commandingheights/

Commanding Heights: The Battle for the World Economy, premieres on PBS
April 3, 10, and 17, 2002 at 9:00 PM ( check local listings ). Based on
the book by Pulitzer Prize winner Daniel Yergin and Joseph Stanislaw,
this six-hour limited series traces the evolution of the modern global
economy through the nine tumultuous decades since World War I.
Concurrent with its broadcast premiere, PBS.org will launch Commanding
Heights Online, a unique new kind of series Web site with advanced
Broadband features that complement its more traditional text- and
image-based content. Designed to promote better understanding of the
current global economic system as well as the forces, values, and
perceptions which have shaped it, the site will illuminate key economic
ideas in the context of specific historical events.

As to the link you pointed to, Milton Friedman did not predict a 5,000
point collapse.  He said " If you and I could predict that, we'd be much
wealthier people than we are. Nobody can predict that. But there will be
a collapse, there will be recessions."

If you are going to pick on anyone, note that Galbraith was there.  The
only forecaster to do worse than Galbraith is Ehrlich.