Compleat wastes of time

Wayne E Baisley baisley@alumni.rice.edu
Wed, 03 Apr 2002 22:51:03 -0600

Okay, I'm a sucker for comics.  I'll read all of them.  Fortunately, the
Trib has a pretty decent selection, so I don't waste my time on too many
lame ones.  Dick Tracy is one of the worst in their collection, but at
least it's got local interest.  Dick Locher lives here in town, so there
are lots of parochial references to Naperville, and Chicago.  His mayor
seems to be mostly our Mayor Pradel, a former cop, with a little Daley
thrown in.  Edward Hospital, not Cook County, is the medical facility of
choice.  The Wehrlis, and old Naperville family and political force, get
fairly frequent mention; we've bought several appliances from them.

Yesterday's strip referred to Lima Lima, which is both obscure and cool.
  It's the nickname for the Naper Aero Club (FAA field LL-10), a
precision flight team of six T-34s.  They participate in the Chicago Air
& Water show, among others, and always make an appearance for the local
Memorial Day parade.  I drove home behind a guy with Lima Lima license
plate holders today.  http://www.limalima.com/about.htm

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/tmdic/2002/tmdic020402.gif

The funniest Tracy cartoon ever was a couple of years ago.  He was
holding a gun and looking at his wristgenie.  But it was the wrong hand.
  Correct arm, though.  Or maybe his fingers bend both ways.

And speaking of lame cartoons with local flavor, one of the authors of
Brenda Starr is Mary Schmich, famous for the non-Vonnegut commencement
address.  A graduate of Pomona College and Stanford, BTW, so you out in
California can feel important, too.

I'd rather read Johnny The Homicidal Maniac, though.
http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Lights/1905/police.gif

Cheers,
Wayne

"That's the most-so-untrue-iest thing I've ever heard.  I am
unpredictable as the nervous park squirrel!!"  Some Jhonen character