St. Columba: The patron saint of copyleft... (fwd)

Kragen Sitaker kragen@pobox.com
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 06:23:03 -0500 (EST)

Some anonymous person whose email is thoroughly broken wrote:
> More, Kragen?  I don't get it.

So I attempt to restate more clearly:

While taking valuables you don't own is stealing under nearly every
legal system, the matter of who owns the valuables is not independent
of legal system.  But under every legal system, somebody owns them;
we're talking about goods that are excludable and rival.

Intellectual-property rights control things which, under many legal
systems, are not subject to control; specifically, certain kinds of
speech.  The process of democratization is the process of reducing
control over speech and other basic human rights.

When the battle between "us" and "them" is equated with the battle between
good and evil -- then we have placed ourselves above all evil. This is to
make gods of ourselves.  -- Steve Talbot, NETFUTURE #129, via SMART Letter