Stealth P2P network hides inside Kazaa

Gordon Mohr gojomo@usa.net
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:21:23 -0800

Adam Beberg writes:
> No, it's not available publicly.
>
> And I know my frustration sounds like me saying "I'm a genious and everyone
> else is a moron",

Not really; you sound paranoid and possibly delusional.

> but what I'm really saying is, "they are morons, but I'm a
> BIGGER moron because I've had to sit on this for 7 years because I cant
> figure out how to release the thing without it getting stolen and copied 3
> days later (because the whole beauty is it's utter simplicity) leaving me
> with noone even knowing I designed the thing, and not a penny richer to
> boot." But it is a piece I need for other things I'm doing, which have
> better potential, so it will be out when those other things are finished I
> suppose.
>
> Thus every time someone talks about some inefficient P2P/streaming/content
> delivery systems, I scream inside and get just a little more grumpy. Patents
> were a hope, but they are useless against the open source hoard, not to
> mention the Microsoft legal assasination squad.
>
> Someday I'll figure it out... in the meantime I'm still looking for a day
> job like every other geek I know around here.

If you were to discuss -- or even better, release -- this magical system
of yours, patent or no, then at least you could talk to others as if they
were real people, with real viewpoints. You'd get practice defending and
promoting what you've done to a real audience. You might get useful feedback.
You might learn something new.

Or, in what is likely a subconscious fear, you might be informed of prior
art, or that the qualities you've optimized -- made so amazingly "efficient" --
aren't really what's important to actual users/customers. As long as you
hide your polished turd from everyone else, you can pretend it's the best
turd anyone's ever laid.

Even if your approach is genuinely novel and valuable, holding it in
secrecy increases the chance someone else will stumble across your
approach, and publish/deploy it first. Then you'll be reduced to saying,
"that's what I was going to do! since I was a toddler!" People will
roll their eyes; all your cleverness will have been for naught.

And if people did promptly copy your approach? Some would give you
credit. Against others, you could demonstrate, I proposed/implemented/
deployed that first. You'd gain in reputation, if your stuff is but a
fraction of how good you claim it is. (Simply by describing it well on
FoRK, you'd be likely to show up near the top of Google results on
topical searches.)

People might want to hear your next big ideas. (This isn't the only
big idea you'll ever have, is it?)

They might even hire you.

- Gordon