A new amorality in the Middle East

grlygrl201@aol.com grlygrl201@aol.com
Thu, 04 Apr 2002 18:11:14 -0500

In a message dated Thu, 4 Apr 2002  5:14:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, "John Hall" <johnhall@evergo.net> writes:

>Yes.
>
>I hope that Bush is just providing cover for the Israelis to continue to
>kill any Palestinian with a gun, discover and destroy bomb factories,
>round up and remove from circulation Palestinians actively conspiring to
>kill Israeli children, and obtain intelligence to make it easier to
>target same in the future.

A silly notion, by your recent definition of silly.

reality, from today's economist:

Besides, Palestinian leaders have calculated all along that Israeli escalation might bring them exactly what they wanted: international peacekeepers, and a leap beyond the gradualism of Oslo to a settlement that pushes Israel all the way back to its pre-1967 borders. The paradox of Mr Sharon's big new war is that it is also Mr Arafat's big new opportunity. He will not wish to squander it.

A second complication is that nobody can be sure of Mr Sharon's true war aims. He certainly has form. As defence minister, and architect of Israel's calamitous Lebanon war of 1982, Mr Sharon proved adept at saying one thing to his cabinet, another to the Americans, and implementing a third policy on the ground. It is all very well for the Americans and his coalition partners to hope that this war will force the Palestinians back to a ceasefire and peace talks. But Mr Sharon is a champion of Jewish settlement in the West Bank and an avowed loather of Oslo. Although George Bush urges him to keep open a “pathway to peace”, Mr Sharon seems intent on making sure that Israel can never again negotiate with Mr Arafat, the “enemy” he publicly regrets sparing in 1982.

Given this, it is no surprise that America has dithered. The fighting has put Mr Bush in a quandary. He is utterly serious about the global war he has declared on terrorism. After atrocities like the one at Netanya, he cannot say that what Israel is fighting is not terrorism. Yet Palestine does not fit the September 11th template. For this is terrorism harnessed to a deserving cause: the independent statehood that America itself has taken pains to say it supports. In principle, Mr Bush could solve his riddle by supporting the end but not the violent means by which the Palestinians have chosen to attain it. In practice, this probably requires working with Mr Arafat, a reformed terrorist returning to former ways. Hence the air of improvisation in American policy. Mr Bush appears to have given Mr Sharon a free hand for a short period, in the desperate hope that a chastened Mr Arafat, whom Israel is under orders to preserve, will thereafter see the error of his ways.

If this is a plan, it is indeed a most desperate one. What if it should fail? Such is the misery of Israelis that Yossi Sarid, Israel's opposition leader, has proposed a previously unthinkable idea: the creation, in the Balkan manner, of some sort of international protectorate for the occupied territories, to restore calm while their ultimate status is resolved. For the present, virtually nobody takes this idea seriously. Mr Sharon would call it a reward for terrorism. Who would dare to supply the troops? In the 1940s, the British mandate in Palestine collapsed in chaos. But the day is coming when there may be no alternative. Except for Jews and Arabs, locked in their eternal embrace, to drown one another in a sea of blood.

in its entirety, this opinion is found here: http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=1066945

the following belongs to johnhall:

> [...]
>one day and have forgotten everything they have ever learned about
>hatred. All the mothers and fathers of children who have blown their
>bodies up for the cause of peace are now accepting the fact that it was
>all a lie, that their children were duped and sacrificed for absolutely
>nothing! Pretend they have forgiven their political and religious
>leaders for deceiving them and there is a sense of joy and forgiveness
>in the air.
>
>Now don't give up yet folks! Stay with me on this one. The human mind is
>quite remarkable in its ability to venture beyond logic. Let's pretend
>that Yasser Arafat wakes up one day and one truth comes out of his
>mouth. He repents to his people and to the world for being a
>bloodthirsty killer. He asks forgiveness for masterminding and
>implementing terror on the world for the past 40 years.
>
>Let's pretend that Yasser Arafat is a changed man. He no longer feels
>compelled to annihilate the Jewish people, but instead wants to live
>side by side in peace and harmony.
>
>This will be a stretch for some. Try to imagine the tens of thousands of
>young Palestinian men (and women) who have known absolutely nothing but
>hatred and bloodlust towards the Jewish people from the time they were
>children, have found a new peace in their hearts. Imagine they surrender
>their guns, bombs and ideologies and long to befriend their Jewish
>brothers. Decades of lies, and PA-sponsored moral and social depravity
>have simply vanished from their lives.
>
>Let's pretend that the Palestinian people are dancing in the streets,
>handing out candy and celebrating their newfound love for their Jewish
>neighbors and their willingness to embrace their differences and share
>their resources and live together in peace!
>
>Game over. Reality check.
>The Middle East reality is that a Palestinian state will never and
>should never be allowed to exist within the borders of Israel! It simply
>will not work. It will be a cancer in the heart of Israel. Cancer is not
>something that can be negotiated with, nor can it be managed by
>"surgical strikes." It must be attacked aggressively and completely
>until all signs of the deadly disease are destroyed.
>
>Aside from the fact that all of the land of Israel was promised to the
>Jewish people by the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the unfortunate
>reality is that Palestinian society, so diseased by hatred, will not be
>able to co- exist in peace with Israel.
>
>Generations of Palestinian hostility and the destruction that follows
>will in fact grow more powerful if granted statehood. The cancer of
>Israel will have metastasized. It will now have a life and a sovereignty
>of its own.
>
>We must stop pretending that a Palestinian State will bring peace to the
>Middle East. It will surely prove to be more deadly than any present
>horror that is occurring in Israel today.

But this is mine: