A new amorality in the Middle East

Greg greg@chaos-x.org
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 23:46:30 -0500

Thursday, April 04, 2002, 11:18:27 PM, johnhall@evergo.net wrote:
> Indeed, they will act just like Arabs act.  I believe the previous ruler
> of Syria killed 20,000 in one of his own towns mostly with artillery.

Which is hardly a new trick, sadly.  cf. the history of India, or
Ireland, Napoleon, Ghengis Khan, etc. etc.  History is a nightmare
blah blah blah fnord.  Maybe it's the fault of the leadership in these
camps.  With that in mind, I'm personally inspired to see that
democracy is now in the good hands of cable television:

>From http://www.ctheory.net/text_file.asp?pick=333 :
> Today the ultimate cool is the denial and refutation of all authority
>  and authenticity as a means to a new virtual authenticity. You can be
>  a teenager forever. Giving full life to this youth-anchored dream of
>  intellectual nihilism is the new show from cable channel HBO called
>  "Candidate 2012." The show promises to make an anonymous person, who
>  must be between the ages of 24 and 29, a legitimate candidate for the
>  President of the United States in the year 2012. The joke that "if
>  Bush Jr. can become President, anyone can" is being taken seriously
>  by a corporate machine that knows what the public wants and intends
>  to deliver us our first "Real World" MTV rock star President.

See also http://www.hbo.com/candidate2012/

How soon before the Church of Znaimerology finances a "MuchMusic's
Gonna Be A Prime Minister" contest?  And where do I sign up?

-G