Anti-Spam Idea

Jeffrey Kay jeff@k2.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 07:30:21 -0500

Since we're starting to get a preponderance of spam on this list, why not think about
using a whitelist scheme to prevent it?  Take all of the e-mail addresses of registered
users as your base whitelist.  On the bottom of the posts where the URL is added, put in a
message about a token to be added to the subject line (e.g. "[anti-spam token]") so anyone
who wanted to be on the list but wasn't could post without subscribing and automatically
be added to the whitelist?  That should do a great deal to prevent spam on this list.

I think this solution would satisfy the criterion of stopping spam while allowing anyone
who wants to post without subscribing.

Thoughts?

-- jeffrey kay
weblog  <www.k2.com>
"first get your facts, then you can distort them at your leisure" -- mark twain
"golf is an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle" -- sports
illustrated
"if A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y plus Z. X is work. Y is play.
Z is keep your mouth shut." -- albert einstein