"united we stand"

Michael mogmios@mlug.missouri.edu
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 04:59:32 -0500 (CDT)

> Who started the use of this phrase post-9/11?

I found it ironic that they started using that "united we stand" phrase.
It seemed to me that because people were so 'united' they all got dead. If
they'd been spread out more then far fewer people would have died. The
fortress model of society doesn't seem to handle this kind of threat as
well as a decentralized model. Thus really big buildings and cities make
really good targets.

"Unitied we all fall down go boom." would have been a more fitting phrase
to pick. The first time I remember seeing that phrase for 9/11 was in
disaster collections by the Red Cross.