"united we stand"

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 12:20:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Michael wrote:

> I found it ironic that they started using that "united we stand"
> phrase. It seemed to me that because people were so 'united' they all
> got dead. If they'd been spread out more then far fewer people would
> have died. The fortress model of society doesn't seem to handle this
> kind of threat as well as a decentralized model. Thus really big
> buildings and cities make really good targets.

Problem with declustering is that monkeys need face2face contacts for
businessmaking, to be able to evaluate subliminal signs in the opposite
party. (It's much easier to cheat on the phone, or even better, on paper).
Also, alpha primates like to keep their working drones in their vicinity,
for easier control, so here's your recipe for business clustering.

High-resolution displays and immersive augmented reality plus ubiquitous
high-QoS broadband might alleviate that. Also, people might want to start
considering (web-of-) trust building via strong-crypto based
authentication based on past interactions.

Since alpha monkeys are so conservative it will require the nuking of a
business district (Coming Real Soon Now to A Block Near You) before
they'll realize that they're making themselves vulnerable.