St. Columba: The patron saint of copyleft... (fwd)

Michael mogmios@mlug.missouri.edu
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 04:07:38 -0500 (CDT)

> > However, the constitution is not burnt
> > into ROM.  Up until 1865, it said people
> > were potentially property; an idea which
> > now seems horribly mistaken.
>
> and we have the constitution because we
> rejected the divine right of Kings, an
> issue which in its day was justified by
> property rights.

I kind of think people are still frequently held as property and serfs
except now we're fed so much bs that we fail to recognize it. At least
before we knew who was King. Now I'm not really sure we have a King.
Instead we are traded back and forth like toys between many powerful lords
but with just as few options.

Sure you can drop out of the system if you're willing to lose your income
which essentially is a threat of lossing your home, your family, friends,
food, medical care, etc. You can't very easily find decent land you can
just claim and work for your own food and shelter. If you can't earn your
living without the permission of an overlord your little better than a
slave. If you don't do as you're told you are thrown out to die.