Why the Europeans and Arabs, each in their own way, hate America and Israel

Robert Harley harley@argote.ch
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:29:01 +0200 (CEST)

Dan Kohn wrote:
>I was having trouble understanding what Jose Bove was doing in Ramallah,
>and how Europeans could remain pro-Arafat, until reading these pieces:
>
>[...link to "Among the Bourgeoisophobes"...]

When I read the first few paragraphs of that piece recently, my
bullshit meter redlined.  Then it exploded at this sentence:

>They are erudite Europeans who burn with humiliation because they
>know, deep down, that both America and Israel possess a vitality and
>heroism that their nations once had but no longer do.

Europeans as a whole (erudite or otherwise) do not "burn with
humiliation" as is suggested here.  And the author trying to show off
his intellectualness by picking moronic quotes from Stendhal and
Flaubert doesn't change that.

I don't have the time or energy to go into a long diatribe about this,
but let me try to summarize, very quickly and imperfectly.

To draw an analogy: Europe feels like an older, wiser brother who sees
younger siblings making the same mistakes that he once did.  Europe,
and its various parts, have been through the "I'm gonna be a tough guy
and flout my strength and push others around" before and have
experienced the good and the bad results, even mere decades or
centuries ago.  Times were different then, for sure, but the lessons
learned remain very relevant today.

Will the USA burn out, never to rise again?  It can happen quickly
e.g., the UK's relatively sudden loss of power during World War II in
spite of doing everything right.  Is Israel a flash in the pan?  Who
knows?  What about the rise of China?  Or perhaps of Brazil/India/???
in the future?

Some of them will go too far and cause a world of pain for themselves
and others.  To quote Khrushchev, we will bury them.  Europe will
still be around around since it it built on solid foundations and will
not collapse like e.g., the USSR.  Some of them will learn wisdom too
and we will go on to better things together.

Anyway, something like that.