eBay is a Monopoly and the government must step in

Gordon Mohr gojomo@usa.net
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:06:26 -0700

Joe writes:
> Try finding matches for "Mamiya TLR" on the various auction sites.
> I've had no luck anywhere but eBay.
> eBay has an effective monopoly on online auctions.
> This must be stopped!

Yes, they are a natural monopoly. Further evidence is in their
pricing power.

Government attention is only a matter of time.

I think EBay realizes this. Around the time the EBay-Microsoft
.Net partnership was announced, some EBay executive remarked
along the lines that EBay really admired Microsoft as a role
model. (Sorry, Google fails me, I can't find the precise
quote.)

- Gordon