FoRK: Vacation Spots, relaxation havens and damn fun places to visit

carey carey@tstonramp.com
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:36:22 -0700

Alright.  So there is a FoRKer who will remain nameless, who thinks he's
seen everything, and been or read about everywhere that could possibly be
interesting.   I strongly disagree of course, and think he's full of shit
:-)

So my question to all the FoRKers out there, since I know you all are a
fount of knowledge and good n' useful bits, is:

What is the strangest, most interesting, or truly awesome place you've
either: a) Ever been to or b) would like to go.

This tangent was started, probably some time ago, when Rohit mentioned the
idea of dark parks,

http://www.xent.com/pipermail/fork/2001-July/002380.html

and was briefly explored then, but I really want to hit up on it now.  I
think said FoRKer indeed has not seen nearly enough, and I rely on you to
prove me right :)

Now, I know I haven't seen jack dittly.  PErhaps the most awe inspiring
place I've been to in my short little existence, is a little place near the
calico ghost town.   A friend grabbed me one day, mumbling something about
caves, total darkness, and the sexiest display of constellations that you
can find (at least in CA).

Might I add, the concept of total darkness in a cave is a very wonderful
little experience.   And the ability of mere stars and the moonlight to
illuminate an area well enough that one could make it back to their car sans
a flashlight, is truly bitchin :)

I'm sure some of you folks with more time and adventure than I have seen
better places.  Mind elaborating?

(This has been another purely bitless endeavor, brought to you by bitbitch!)