[Economist] PC Forum launches joltage, boingo, sputnik

Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:01:10 -0700

Rohit Khare wrote:

 > An excellent overview of WiFi developments at PC Forum. These are
 > critical new proto-munchkin efforts; just add mesh routing and life will
 > begin to get quite interesting.
 >
 > The future is a WiFi card duct taped to an iPod on the side of the road...
 >   RK
 >
 > Wireless networking
 > Making Wi-Fi pay
 > Apr 4th 2002
 > Will enthusiasm for wireless networking translate into profits?

There are existing ISP aggregators and they all seem to
want to launch wireless offerings that aggregate individual
services, rank them according to quality, and hide the
individual-per-day charges that happen now.  iPass and GRIC
are two of the companies.

At the InfoWorld CTO Forum yesterday, they had a panel that
talked about joltage and boingo and wireless issues in general
including, but not limited to 802.11 standards.  Intel was all
over the place including a keynote speech by Pat Gelsigner on
integrated wireless including "Radio Free Intel" where all
modes of wireless get included on the chip.

The wireless infrastructure issues inclued:
   o Kayvan Alikhani, CTO MagnetPoint
   o Dr. Aharon Friedman, CTO Fortress Technologies
   o Steve Gillmor, Director InfoWorld Test Center
   o Glenn Ricart, EVP & CTO Centerbeam

in addition there were one or two others sitting in including
David Werezak, VP product planning for RIM.

Tim Bray, now at Antarcti.ca Systems was on a disruptive panel
saying that XML isn't disruptive because we already can send the
same information across the net, but UBL may be disruptive as it's
a business innovation.

They had a GRID panel where Platform Computing, Ejascent, Avaki,
HP's CTO, Globus, and the IBM Linux cluster guy all seemed to agree
that grid computing is a) very early and developing, b) applicable
to only a few applications at this point, and c) audience member
challened them on this point, grid computing adds complexity, not
take it away which may be an adoption problem.

The opening night included a keynote by John Seely Brown who
was advocating loosely-coupled business processes using protocol-based
integration.  The tried to roast industry trends with a panel of:
    o Marc Benioff, CoB & founder salesforce.com (one of the few
        successfully outsources business services)
    o Adam Bosworth, Sr. VP BEA
    o Dr. John Seely Brown, Chief Scientist, Xerox
    o Sheldon Laube, CoB, CEO of CenterBeam
    o Gary L. Rebak, Attorney & cofounder Voxeo
    o Dr. Eric Schmidt, CoB, CEO Google.

I sat at the same table as Sheldon and Adam for dinner.   I got
to speak to Eric briefly, but only for about 10 seconds to be polite
before he ran out of the room saying he had to get back to Google
and that I should send him an email.

Mark Lucovsky, Distinguished Engineer at MSFT, gave a hailstorm
talk even though the business guys have said that the actual hailstorm
type products have been scaled back.  He gave a great talk on
architectural issues you will encounter doing Web services, touched
on xpaths, xqueries, protocols versus apis, open versus closed,
Kerberos crap, reliable messaging, asynchronicity, etc.

Overall, the CTO of the year turned out to be a woman from the DISA,
Dawn Meyerriecks who oversaw the technical IT issues for close to
90 operations worldwide and all the internal reprogramming of
all the existing DoD IT systems after 9/11.   She mentioned drop
shipping 1000 servers into Afghanistan (the majority of which are
Tadpole hardware which we joked about) and increased the whole
countries bandwidth from 304Kbs to 40Gbs (from memory).

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to attend the PC Forum, but it turns
out that almost all of the same people that were there are also here.

 From the field, 8-)

Greg

Gregory Alan Bolcer, CTO   | work: +1.949.833.2800 | gbolcer at endeavors.com
Endeavors Technology, Inc. | cell: +1.714.928.5476 | http://endeavors.com