[Economist] PC Forum launches joltage, boingo, sputnik

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:00:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:

> They had a GRID panel where Platform Computing, Ejascent, Avaki,
> HP's CTO, Globus, and the IBM Linux cluster guy all seemed to agree
> that grid computing is a) very early and developing, b) applicable
> to only a few applications at this point, and c) audience member
> challened them on this point, grid computing adds complexity, not
> take it away which may be an adoption problem.

While I disagree with a) since it's been in devel for well over 30 year, i'm
completely and utterly shocked that b) and c) were admitted to. The GRID is
for people with supercomputers, and the HOWTO is something like 783,413
pages for no good reason (well, they are academics, who have to publish to
survive)

Just another sign the crash was a good thing. It's been really hard to
tell the truth about what the technology can do and compete with people
lying through their VC polished teethy grins.

Another good sign is that I for a "3rd call" the other day. Back in the days
when I did web site devel, I quickly learned this was the only type of
client to take on. A "3rd call" is when someone needs something done, and
vendor A and vendor B have already screwed them over bigtime, and they
finally did some research and find out who knows what they are doing. So
basicly, when you tell them XYZ isn't possible, they should do UVW they
actually listen because the other vendors promised XYZ and they saw what
happened.

Of course, since there aren't many "distributed computing" posers out there
to begin with, if 2 have already screwed them over, they are probably doing
the same to everyone and ruining it for everyone.

> Tim Bray, now at Antarcti.ca Systems was on a disruptive panel saying
> that XML isn't disruptive because we already can send the same
> information across the net

That also took balls. Did he mention the 3x overhead in bits and 100x
overheade for parsing too?

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com