Vacation Spots, relaxation havens and damn fun places to visit

Owen Byrne owen@permafrost.net
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 22:00:29 -0300

A few highlights from my life - call them alternate history tourist
designations -
Beirut - at 13 - 1974 - at the time a wonderful, relatively cool (as in
temperature), enclave, that at the time, seemed immune from the chaos in
neighboring countries.
Afghanistan - 1975 -  at 15 years old I was turned loose from my parents
(under the supervision of a high school coach) in downtown Kabul for 5 days.
The most amazing place - awash in contraband of all kinds, with hijacked
American aid front and center - Budweiser and Marlboro at a tenth of the
price in the US, along  with, well, Afghanistan.

More recent - the wars haven't gotten there yet:

Barcelona - middle of the Barrio Gotico - preferably at 4 am during a festa
or after a Barcelona defeat of Real Madrid.
Newfoundland - Gros Morne National Park. Define "solitude."
The north shore of Lake Superior.

Owen
Carey asked: