Try To Read Without Smiling

Antoun Nabhan anabhan@post.harvard.edu
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:50:39 -0700

At 08:42 PM 4/11/02 -0400, grlygrl201@aol.com wrote:
>(i love reading this schtuff - but haven't a clue who wrote this one.)

Me either. It doesn't have the voice of any of the great automotive writers
- Peter Egan, Brock Yates, Jean Lindamood-Jennings, LJK Setright. It does,
however, point to the fact that BMW has implemented some kind of Moore's
Law for engines - I remember the 1988 M5, two model generations ago, having
256 horsepower (out of 3.5 liters of displacement) and costing some $45K.
Now their 225-hp, 3.0-liter 330i is roughly the same size, a little faster,
and about $5K cheaper.

The assertion that you can't get other V-8 RWD sedans with a stick is
unfortunately true for the U.S. - another symptom of our car=living room
aesthetic. Abroad, you can get goodies like the 400HP Holden Commodore, an
Australian version of a German Opel (which happens to be mushified,
chromified, and sold in the States as the Cadillac Catera up until this
year) with an LS1 Corvette motor in it. If anyone wants one, let me know -
I may be able to import a couple. Audi sells the big-kahuna (but 4WD, not
RWD) S8 overseas with a manual transmission, too. That's the Audi in the
movie Ronin, which is basically pornography for the car-o-sexual.

Interestingly, Helmut Feyhl's RENNsport shop will drop a six-speed
transmission into the V-8 Mercedes of your choice for $10,000. Which if
memory serves means that an E55 so equipped would cost about $5K more than
the M5.

See, I can't do anything about foreign policy...but my car, I can modify
the hell out of.

--A.