Try To Read Without Smiling

Joseph S. Barrera III joe@barrera.org
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 19:20:58 -0700

> When -- if -- you are ever lucky enough to get behind the
> wheel of a machine like the $69,900 M5, do not sleep, do not
> eat. Just drive -- wild-eyed and heavy-footed until the
> fraying cords show through the smoldering hides of those
> Michelin P245/40ZR-18 tires

At which point expect to pay huge amounts of money for
new tires. Z series tires are not cheap, and you learn
to keep your tires properly inflated and balanced to
get the most life out of them! (Can you tell I just
bought four new PZeros?)

> Neither the 349-hp, $70,300 Mercedes-Benz AMG E55 nor the
> 370-hp, $69,355 Jaguar XJR can match the sheer brute force of
> the M5, and neither the Benz nor the Jag is available with
> anything other than an lopey-dopey automatic transmission
> that spoils half the fun.

Yeah, I suppose, but if I had a manual in my XJR, I think
I would have gone through three clutches given the stop & go
traffic on the 101 that I so often encounter.

And then, once I get onto the 280 (via the 92), how much
shifting do you really need to do when you're doing a
constant 105 mph?

P.S. If you want to see a 400 HP Jag sedan:
http://www.us.jaguar.com/pressrelease/x202/x202.html