Try To Read Without Smiling

Antoun Nabhan anabhan@post.harvard.edu
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 20:48:01 -0700

If you really want an old-style Jag sports sedan, I've run across a shop
that can do a manual-transmission conversion for old-style (pre X300) V-12
XJ-S and XJ-12s:

<http://www.keislerauto.com/Jaguar/transmission/5speed_details.html>

Yeah, it's nice to see Jag trying hard...but the S-Type just isn't nearly
as elegant as the XJ6/XJR, and the X-type looks surprisingly close to a
Ford Taurus but - fictional teaser lease deals notwithstanding - a Taurus
that tops $40K when optioned even somewhat nicely. Youch!

I feel bad every time we don't reward manufacturers with big sales numbers
when they take the admirable risk of bringing in a manual-transmission
model, but they don't seem to understand that true enthusiasts aren't
comparing them to BMWs like their ad agency people think; we're comparing
them to whatever weird machinery we've already got in our garages and
finding that the new tech still isn't worth having a big fat car payment again.

Or to be more bitful: Why did Americans buy more new cars in Q4 2001 than
in any other quarter ever, even though cars continue to last two or three
(or more) times longer than the average loan payment? If the rate of
retirement of vehicles goes down, and the rate of sales of new vehicles
goes up, it must jack up the number of vechicles in service. So where are
all these used cars going, anyhow? Oh, wait, I can see them clogging up the
Bay Bridge right now. Nevermind. :-)

--A.