Water filters, urine, and beer

Mr. FoRK fork_list@hotmail.com
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 23:22:59 -0700

Tangential link via LongNow site:

http://www.wsmr.army.mil/paopage/Pages/Trinst.htm
On July 16, 1945 the world changed with the explosion of the first atomic
bomb. The explosion took place at Trinity Site which is on what is now White
Sands Missile Range. Trinity is a national historic landmark which is open
to the public twice a year. The following links will provide you with
information on the history of the site, how to get there and some of the
historic images.

NOTE: The next Trinity Site open house is scheduled for April 6, 2002.

Did anybody get out to Trinity this year?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Kohn" <dan@dankohn.com>
To: <fork@xent.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 11:01 PM
Subject: Water filters, urine, and beer

[* Sent to MSR customer service  - dan *]

I suspect this will be your strange question of the day:

I've been a fan of MSR and used the MiniWorks extensively when hiking in
Namibia last month to filter quite dirty water, with sparkling,
tasteless water being created every time.

My new Waterworks II just arrived today from REI, and as a test, I tried
it on two rather unusual substances: beer and urine.  Disappointingly,
in both cases, the result was clearly not pure water (it looked and
smelled like diluted urine and then like sudsy, diluted beer).

Could you please explain to me why this "science experiment" didn't
work, and yet the WaterWorks is presumably able to filter much smaller
particles to eliminate dangerous organisms.

And don't worry, I cleaned the filter extensively before packing it away
for my next trip.

Sincerely,

Dan Kohn
dan@dankohn.com