Coup in Venezuela in progress.

Luis Villa louie@ximian.com
12 Apr 2002 07:29:24 -0400

On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 02:41, Bill Humphries wrote:
> On Thursday, April 11, 2002, at 08:28 PM, John Hall wrote:
>
> >  Getting rid of Chavez is almost certainly a plus. He could hardly be
> > replaced with someone worse.
>
> Hah. So a rightist tyrant is better than Fidel Jr.?
> Tyrants are tyrants.
> Whatever happened to elections?

Venezuela actually has (by South American standards) a fairly robust
democratic transition, and in the past the military has reasonably
strongly supported elections. From what I understand* it appears that
while their is a change in power possibly going on, those involved in
said 'coup'** are likely to want to return power to a legitimately
elective government in fairly short order.
Luis

*best friend is from .ve, so we discussed this at length yesterday while
he was watching all the streaming news video he could get his hands on

**calling it a coup is really incorrect- it's much closer to a popular
revolution backed by a faction of the military than a coup. There were
hundreds of thousands marching on the presidential palace yesterday, and
only /after/ that happened did parts of the military demand Chavez's
resignation.