wage slavery? [Re: St. Columba...]

Marty Halvorson martyh@nmcourts.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:55:46 -0600

Dave Long wrote,
>  For example, undeveloped land in California's Shasta Valley (near Yreka) is
>  going for around $250-$300 an acre (that's three hundred dollars, not three
>  hundred thousand dollars). For less money than you paid for your last new
>  car, you can have an 80 acre estate.

My sister and her husband are ranchers in the Little Shasta Valley (Yreka
is in the Little Shasta Valley),  Hmm, let's see they own and lease about
56 sections (35,840 ac.) at $300 /acre that's $10,750,000.  To bad they're
so poor that my sister has to work in town.

I think $300 /acre is probably to low.  The ranch is valued at $7,000,000
including only the land they own (6-7 sections).

Of course, if you don't want to have tillable (i.e., land that will grow
food) land (that is, will settle for land full of volcanic rock), you might
find it at $300 /acre.  They own some of that, not much will grow there,
that's why 50 sections are only good for growing cows.  They have 150
cow/calf units on those 50 sections, i.e., about 200 acres per cow over a
period of 7 months.  The remainder, most of what they own, is all bottom
land and very fertile.  They grow enough hay on those few sections to feed
all those cows and calves for the 5 months the 50 sections are unusable for
grazing.

>Much of the food you eat could be grown on the property.

If you can get water rights.  In California that's problematic.  And water
rights would be required because it, like much of the rest of Northern
California, gets very little rain during the summer.

>  Electricity would come from solar and wind.

All of their electricity comes from a water driven generator in the middle
of the year-round stream.  The only year-round stream entering the Little
Shasta Valley I might add.  One that begins and ends entirely on the ranch.

>Assuming 2 months a year maintaining the garden,

This is probably not a good assumption.  Let's see.  Till the end of April,
plant in early May, weed, water, etc, June, July, and August, harvest in
August and early September, and get everything preserved (which usually
involves 12-16 hour days) for use the rest of the year starting with the
first harvest and continuing until the end of September.  At least, this is
what my sister does, and she lives there, and her garden provides most of
the vegetables and some of the fruit her family eats the rest of the year.

Peace,

Marty Halvorson