What does the Google API mean for fork folks?

Joseph S. Barrera III joe@barrera.org
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:44:48 -0700

Okay guys and gals,

Who's already playing with the Google API?
What are you using it for?
How's the toolkit that Google provides?
Is it great, usable, or wretched?

I ask because

a. I think it's cool
b. Oddly, I can't think of a use for it right now

- Joe

P.S. Dave, I don't remember if you're on fork or not.

-----Original Message-----
From: davenet-world@scripting.com [mailto:davenet-world@scripting.com]On
Behalf Of DaveNet email
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 2:53 PM
To: DaveNet World
Subject: What does the Google API mean for regular folks?

DaveNet essay, "What does the Google API mean for regular folks?", released
on 4/12/2002; 2:47:09 PM Pacific.

***Dan's question

Dan Gillmor asks in an email: "For regular folks who use the Web, why is the
Google API so exciting? Or is this just something that will give programmers
the shivers?"

Dan, this is an important question, and the answer right now is we don't
know. Certainly there's not a huge amount of juice for users immediately --
but scripting interfaces for search engines is a science [1] that's only
existed in public [2] for about 24 hours. It's a little early to judge its
impact.

An example from Web history. When the table element came out for HTML in
1995, it barely raised a blip for users, but within weeks,

We hope the Google API will evolve at Internet speed, and that it can become
two-way, and thereby make search engines more current and more useful. We
hope that other search engine vendors will adopt the Google API, and
participate in its development. Now that everyone knows that professional
developers and hobbyists like this stuff [3], it's a good way to get people
who create software interested in what you do.

So the fun is just starting. Google's API may not be a scientific
breakthrough like penicillin [4] or cold fusion, but it might be a step on
the road to something as big as SMTP or POP, or even HTTP and HTML. That's
pretty big stuff.

Dave Winer

[1] http://www.google.com/apis/
[2] http://davenet.userland.com/2002/04/11/googleIsJustTheJuice