What does the Google API mean for fork folks?

Bill Humphries bill@whump.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:06:02 -0700

On Friday, April 12, 2002, at 04:44 PM, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:

> Is it great, usable, or wretched?
>
> I ask because
>
> a. I think it's cool

Yes, it's an interesting idea. I still don't know why they needed SOAP for
this. It's a REST application if I ever saw one. For eBay's API, you send
your user key in the HTTP headers. Google could had done that as well.

> b. Oddly, I can't think of a use for it right now

I need to study the methods supported, but since you're limited to 10
results per query, it puts a drag on the sort of things I'd like to do
with it such as set up a set of standing queries for topics I'm tracking
and have a Radio agent grab pointers to the newest hits and dump them to a
table I can look at later.

Until they make arrangements for people to negotiate or buy access to more
results, apps like site specific searches will have to wait.

-- whump