What does the Google API mean for fork folks?

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 00:31:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:

> Who's already playing with the Google API?
> What are you using it for?
> How's the toolkit that Google provides?
> Is it great, usable, or wretched?

OK, I admit, I looked. I cant think of a single reason to use the API and
not just bookmark google.com instead since that way is FREE :) but...

You can do 3 things:

1. mine the cache.
2. search.
3. spellcheck.

Now, this looks alot to me like a SELECT returning a BLOB, a SELECT, and a
fuzzy SELECT. Make no mistake this _is_ a database we're talking to here.
And what do you do with the results you get back to store them - yup, put em
in a database.

So why cant we get a slick and fast as shit ODBC interface? Everyone
already uses ODBC anyway, was another 610KB .jar really necessary? ODBC even
has better ways to authenticate then sending a string in the header, heheh.

Tho it's nice to see using google with Java is at least an order of
magniture simpler then with .NET.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com